In college and thinking about your next steps?

In order to pursue a career in tax, you must undertake the Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) qualification once you graduate.

This is a professional qualification, so typically you will be working by day while doing this qualification part-time. You may work as a Tax Trainee but there are lots of pathways to obtain your qualification.

Graduates from any discipline

Students from any discipline can chose a career in tax. There are no pre-requisites. Once you have an undergraduate degree at honours level (Level 8) or equivalent, you can enrol on the Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) programme.

You don’t have to have a business or legal degree – there are lots of students with degrees in Science, Engineering and Humanities who are really successful Chartered Tax Advisers (CTA).  In fact, employers really want students from these backgrounds – they bring a fresh and different way of thinking!

Start laying down the stepping stones to your success. Choosing the Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) qualification isn’t just an educational choice, it’s a life decision.

First and Second years

It's never too early to start thinking about your career prospects.

Attend the college careers fair, speak to alumni and graduates from your college about their career choices.

Speak to potential employers about what they are looking for in future candidates, both in terms of grades and experience.

If your course has a Co-Op or work placement year, think about choosing to work in a firm where you can get hands-on experience in tax.  It’s best to talk to your Co-Op placement officer in your college and see what opportunities are out there.

Third and Final years

If you are in your penultimate year in college, think about applying for a summer internship with a firm with a tax department. Firms normally recruit in November - December, and if you are successful you will complete your 12 week paid internship over the summer months

Some of you may not really consider career options until you've completed your undergraduate degree. You can still apply for tax trainee roles but it's important to note that you don't require a training contract to commence your studies.

You can demonstrate your commitment to a career in tax and enrol on the Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) qualification. It will really set you apart from other graduates when apply for tax roles.

Possible Exemptions for Third Level Students

If you have chosen a relevant degree (legal or business-related discipline), you may be entitled to exemptions from some modules of the Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) qualification. Take look at pages 11 - 16 of our Student Handbook (pdf) to check if your qualification is listed.

Professional services firms recruit tax trainees each year on the Milk Round

Applications open in September and close in mid-October. This is your opportunity to secure a job (commencing the September after you graduate), be sponsored to qualify as a Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) and start work in a very dynamic and exciting field. Take time and care with your application and tick the tax box!

College Tax Placements & Internships

Considering a tax internship or placement? They are the best way to spend time either during your college year or over the summer period.


We run a number of competitions each year, so why not find out more on these.

Open Evening

Our Open Evening is a great opportunity to find out more about our Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA), Diploma in Tax and Tax Technician qualifications.

We will be holding several open evenings throughout 2020. Please keep an eye out on our website for upcoming dates.