Tax Manager – Tax Policy & Representations
Date posted: 16 September 2019
The Irish Tax Institute is the leading representative and educational body for Ireland’s Chartered Tax Advisers (CTA) and is the only professional body exclusively dedicated to tax.
Tax policy and administration are at the centre of the Institute’s overall mission and our work in the policy and representations area is at the core of our engagement with Government, Revenue, the EU, the OECD, State agencies, media commentators, business and the tax profession.
Tax policy and the administration of it, is of increasing importance to Ireland and internationally, given its priority amongst decision makers at the most senior levels of Government, the EU and the OECD.
The global tax agenda has never been more topical and dynamic both at home and at EU/OECD level, with national and international tax issues discussed and analysed intensively in the media. The Institute is at the heart of this debate, through our submissions to Government, thought leadership articles in the media and briefings for members and politicians, based on thorough research and analysis.
A vacancy has arisen on the Tax Policy & Representations team and we are seeking to recruit a qualified Chartered Tax Adviser.
This is a permanent position and the Tax Manager will report to the Director of Tax Policy & Representations.
This position will afford the successful candidate the opportunity to work closely with and engage with Institute members, senior Finance and Revenue personnel, international tax policy makers, leading tax academics and media commentators on tax.
The strong inter‐personal attributes of this position coupled with the tax technical aspects, create an exciting, vibrant and challenging role.
This role is key to enhancing the role of the tax profession and ensuring the highest quality of information and analysis for our members.
- Hold the CTA qualification, with excellent tax technical knowledge and skills across all taxes.
- Exceptional research abilities both through written and electronic media.
- Strong communication skills and writing skills, suitable for focused tax policy and representations bulletins, research papers, submissions to Government and Revenue and media commentary.
- An understanding of the global tax agenda, particularly at EU and OECD level.
- A keen interest in current affairs, government policy and decision‐making both generally and specifically, as these apply to tax policy and administration.
- Ability to work independently, as well as within a team and an ability to work to deadlines.
- Superb attention to detail and accuracy.
- Innovative, enthusiastic and interested in tax and its role in social and economic change.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- First‐rate IT skills.
This role will be responsible for providing the highest standards of tax research to the Tax Policy & Representations team on tax policy submissions, representations to Revenue, articles for professional journals and the professional affairs agenda.
- Ensuring that all significant tax developments, reports and announcements are brought to the attention of the Tax Policy & Representations and Corporate Affairs teams.
- Working closely with the senior managers on the Tax Policy & Representations team to ensure that these developments are communicated in an efficient and effective manner to members through the most appropriate channel – taxinstitute.ie, TaxFax, Institute bulletins, the Irish Tax Review and social media.
- Conducting research on tax technical issues in the preparation of Institute’s tax policy work.
- Conducting research on tax technical issues to support the Institute’s representations work to Revenue.
- Working closely with the senior managers on the Tax Policy & Representations team to prepare highly professional and well researched submissions on tax policy and tax administration issues.
- Representing members’ views on tax administration matters at TALC sub‐committees and working groups.
- Providing tax technical support, as part of an overall team, for keynote Institute events such as the Annual Conference and Global Tax Policy Conference.
- Providing support for the work of the Institute’s Policy & Technical, Tax Administration and Professional Affairs Committees.
- Preparing briefing material which communicates the tax policy and representations work of the Institute to our members and the wider tax community.
- Such other duties that may be determined from time to time by the Director of Tax Policy & Representations.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send a CV and brief cover letter to Anne Gunnell, Director of Tax Policy & Representations at firstname.lastname@example.org.