Indirect Tax Senior Manager at Microsoft Ireland
Job posted date - 31 March 2021
Job location - Dublin
Empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more. That’s what inspires us, drives our work and pushes us to challenge the status quo every day. At Microsoft, we also work to empower our employees so they can achieve more. We believe we should each find meaning in our work and we ensure employees have the freedom and the reach to help make a difference in the world.
Microsoft’s Finance vision is focused on how business partnership leads to outcomes and how we drive impact. We do this through our core values – People, Prioritization, Partnership and Protect.
Microsoft maintains a global Tax & Trade planning and compliance strategy that is administered and coordinated at the Microsoft Corporate level, as part of Corporate Finance and Administration, under the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of the Company. This set-up assures proper coordination and implementation of appropriate policies and procedures.
The Tax Trade function is responsible for global tax and trade planning, reporting and compliance, including the technology and process functions to support the coordination of these functions. There are six major functions within the Tax Department. 1) Tax & Trade Affairs; 2) International Tax & Transfer Pricing; 3) Tax Reporting; 4) Tax Planning & Controversy; 5) Trade; and 6) Tax & Trade Process and Technology.
The role will involve working as an important part of a dedicated indirect tax consulting team, supporting the various business groups in relation to existing and future product offerings and ensuring that timely and accurate indirect tax advice is provided to relevant stakeholders within the company. The role will also include provision of indirect tax consulting support for issues related to Microsoft’s multiple indirect tax registrations.
The position will support and provide indirect tax advice to several business segments including Online and Consulting Services, Software Licensing, Hardware and Cloud Services in both the Consumer and Business sectors and to all new product lines to ensure implementation of compliant taxation and reporting procedures.
Shared responsibility for managing indirect tax compliance and reporting activities across 50+ jurisdictions in EMEA & APAC. As Microsoft transitions to a new outsourced third party, it is looking to review all compliance activities end to end to drive best in class reporting.
- Provide timely and accurate indirect tax advice and support to diverse Microsoft businesses.
- Develop solutions to complex business problems from an indirect tax perspective through in-depth analysis, communication, and negotiation with key decision makers in a timely and professional manner.
- Coordinate, liaise and develop strong business relationships with Microsoft Tax & Trade, Legal, Finance, Treasury, and International Accounting to ensure that these internal clients are receiving quality and timely indirect tax planning advice.
- Assist international tax colleagues and various business managers in developing tax-efficient business models for new and existing businesses to ensure that no adverse indirect tax exposure is created.
- Provide strong mentoring to less senior members of the team to aid their growth and development.
- Evaluate areas where indirect tax compliance could be improved, including collection of data, appropriate invoice methodology and coordinating with IT development teams to implement robust taxing and reporting processes.
- Ensure compliance with specific VAT regulations and requirements in each jurisdiction and advise on any compliance improvements.
- Manage and co-ordinate the submission of the indirect tax returns across numerous tax reporting jurisdictions.
- Liaise closely with the tax authorities, prepare for, and provide leadership in any local VAT audits.
- Advise on any VAT compliance issues with support from external consultants when required.
- Perform, and follow up on balance sheet reconciliations and all necessary VAT/accounting reconciliations.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Tax, Law, or related field AND 6+ years of direct and indirect tax compliance, tax returns, tax accounting, or tax audit management experience OR Master's degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Tax, Law, or related field AND 6+ years of direct and indirect tax compliance, tax returns, tax accounting, or tax audit management experience OR equivalent experience.
- Excellent working knowledge of indirect tax compliance processes, from data extraction to return submission and experience of implementing indirect tax real-time reporting. SAF-T filings in EU countries a distinct advantage;
- Proven ability to effectively manage significant indirect tax projects and strong understanding of systems such as Vertex and SAP, coupled with excellent computer literacy skills to include intermediate to advanced Excel competence;
- Proven experience of indirect tax reporting in a multinational environment with the demonstrable ability to extract, analyse and review data and to make appropriate recommendations with minimal supervision / guidance;
- Significant Indirect Tax audit management experience and interaction with tax authorities across multiple jurisdictions;
- Good understanding of general accounting principles and sound commercial awareness essential;
- Strong understanding of EU indirect tax legislation applicable to cross-border transactions and ideally exposure to indirect tax regimes in the wider EMEA and APAC regions.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away