Business Process Analyst, Indirect Tax Determination at Microsoft
Job posted date: 22 January 2021
Job location: Dublin, Ireland
Empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more. That’s what inspires us, drives our work and pushes us to challenge the status quo every day. We also work to empower our employees, so they can achieve more. We believe we should each find meaning in our work and we ensure employees have the freedom and the reach to help make a difference in the world.
Microsoft’s Finance vision is focused on how business partnership leads to outcomes and how we drive impact. We do this through our core values - People, Prioritization, Partnership and Protect. Microsoft maintains a global tax planning and compliance strategy that is administered and coordinated at the Microsoft Corporate level, as part of Corporate Finance and Administration, under the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of the Company. This set-up assures proper coordination and implementation of appropriate policies and procedures.
Tax and Trade are responsible for Worldwide Tax Reporting, Trade, Compliance, and Planning, including the technology and process functions to support the coordination of the worldwide tax and trade functions. There are seven major functions within the Tax Department – Tax & Trade Affairs, International Tax and Transfer Pricing, Tax Reporting, Tax Planning and Controversy, Indirect Tax, Trade, and Tax & Trade Process and Technology.
The Business Process Analyst is a member of the Global Process Owner (GPO) – Indirect Tax team which sits in the wider Tax and Trade Process and Technology function. The position will be responsible for managing day-to-day run and maintain activities related to the tax engine. This role will also support the GPO in identifying and driving key opportunities as it relates to process and systems operating within the Indirect Tax space. We operate in a matrixed environment – building and support each other’s requirements while leveraging each other’s strengths. As such this position will interact daily with stakeholders and team members across the organization – Tax and Trade, Finance, Engineering, and Operations.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Support Vertex run and maintain activities including:
- Support monthly and interim content application;
- Assist with the review and approval of production support tickets;
- On-board new legislation, use cases, and business operation models to the Tax Engine;
- Research and drive changes/efficiencies to the Tax Engine;
- Support Business Process Manager in delivery of strategic business initiatives and projects throughout their lifecycle including:
- Tax requirements gathering and documentation;
- Solution design and build;
- End to end testing;
- Defect/bug resolution;
- Transition of solution to support model;
- Monitor existing processes and identifies risks or areas for process improvements/efficiencies.
The qualifications for the ideal candidate include:
- BS/BA degree in Tax, Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Project Management or another related field;
- 2+ years of relevant experience in global indirect tax concepts and/or indirect tax compliance (e.g.: Sales and Use Tax, Value-Added Tax, Goods and Services Tax);
- Process and data focus with an interest in expanding/upscaling technology skillset;
- Strong communication skills: oral, written and presentation skills, and interpersonal skills;
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and troubleshooting skills;
- Proven success managing multiple projects across a fast-paced and continually changing environment;
- Highly organized, self-motivated and require minimal supervision;
- Experience working in or supporting a large multi-national corporations / complex supply chains.
- Experience with maintaining and operating an indirect tax calculation and compliance software (e.g. Vertex, ONESOURCE, Taxware);
- Experience designing and/or implementing indirect tax determination solutions with a variety of upstream data sources (e.g.: Vertex, SAP, eCommerce Billing systems, Invoice Processing systems, Procurement systems, etc);
- Experience implementing data visualization and/or robotic process automation (RPA) tools (e.g: PowerBI, UIPath, Alteryx); Agile and/or project management experience.
Please apply via this webpage
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.