Associate & Supervising Associate
Reports to: Martin Phelan
Department: Corporate Tax
Our tax experts work in three broad areas: transactional support, contentious tax and tax advisory.
We advise clients throughout our European network across the four sectors our firm focuses on:
- Asset management and investment funds
- Financial institutions
- Healthcare and life sciences
- Technology, media and telecommunications
Straddling our advisory and contentious activities are transfer pricing and specialist VAT practices, both led by partners recruited from the big four consultancy firms.
Our multidisciplinary tax team includes lawyers, accountants and economists. This breadth of expertise helps us see the bigger picture for our clients, including the potential for audit issues, regulatory implications, as well as reputational concerns. That means we can tackle high-value complex matters.
We are recruiting for an Associate & Supervising Associate to play an integral part in the growth of our market leading Tax practice. Supported by our international network, you will have the opportunity to work with tier 1 ranked Tax lawyers who are experts in their field.
We are looking for talented and technical lawyers who have the ambition and aptitude to embrace our first-class client base in the asset management and financial institutions sectors. Candidates will be looking to further develop their knowledge and experience of this exciting and evolving industry.
We require confident and able networkers, who enjoy and will embrace client and business development. This is a unique opportunity with great future career opportunities at the firm for the right individual who tackles this role with success.
- Excellent academics.
- Applicants will ideally have between 1-6 years’ post qualification experience in Corporate Tax, which will have been gained at another leading practice.
- Experience in Financial Markets / AMIF – ideally within Structured Finance and/or Banking
- Strong client focus with an ability and willingness to get actively involved in marketing and business development.
- Commercially driven.
- Able to work effectively as part of a diverse and inclusive team.
- Flexibility and a willingness to work additional hours on occasion as required.
Simmons & Simmons is a leading international law firm, providing clients with commercially aware legal advice, whenever and wherever they need it. We have over 1,600 people situated in key business and financial centres across Europe, the Middle East, and Asia.
We understand that our firm is equal only to the strengths of our people and place great emphasis on recruiting and retaining staff who meet our high standards. Our philosophy for international growth has been to build practices around local teams who understand the culture, business and languages of the countries and regions in which we operate. In doing so, we believe that we have succeeded in developing a closely knit and cohesive network that meets local business needs as part of a global service.
Our business services groups provide integrated support for our global operations. The firm is organised in line with our clients’ requirements into key practice areas and sector groups. Our sector focus allows us to better appreciate the environment in which our clients operate and to work with them to achieve their objectives. Our client base includes leading financial institutions and a significant number of the current FTSE 100 and Fortune Global 500 companies.
Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Financial Institutions, Healthcare & Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We also focus on the E&I market, in particular through our international projects and construction teams. We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working. The core practice areas, from which we draw our sector teams, are: corporate, dispute resolution, employment, pensions & employee benefits, EU, competition & regulatory, financial markets, information, communications & technology, intellectual property, projects, real estate and tax.
For additional information on the firm, please visit our website at www.simmons-simmons.com.
- We are committed to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to equal opportunities in employment.
- We believe in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment. We ensure that those who serve or who have served in the armed forces, and their families, are treated fairly during the recruitment and selection processes.
- At Simmons & Simmons we seek to attract and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures, to create an exciting and rewarding place to work. We are supportive of flexible working arrangements wherever possible and we would encourage you to discuss this with us, should this be something you are interested in.
All recruits of Simmons & Simmons will be required to go through our background screening process. Depending on the position you apply for this may include a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) certificate. We undertake not to discriminate unfairly against any subject of a DBS certificate on the basis of a conviction or other information revealed. The firm’s policy on the recruitment of ex-offenders is available on request.
Please click here to submit your application.